Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dust Mitigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpick

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2008
US
I would like to limit dust buildup in a paper mill on horizontal and vertical surfaces to improve housekeeping. In humid areas of the mill fans tend to cause fine paper dust to stick to vertical surfaces and make buildup quite an issue. We are looking into air treatment to limit humidity but this will not completely solve the problem. I am investigating products that may be applied to surfaces to limit the roughness. The concept is to apply a coating that would allow the dust to "slip" by conduit, ducting, and concrete walls instead of sticking to them. Does anyone know of products available to do such a thing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a silicone based product used by electrical utilities to coat bare high tension wires to prevent build-up of dust and debris. Either your regional electrical utility (find a maintenance guy you can talk to casually instead of a front office) or a larger electrical supply should be able to fill you in on the details. They might have newer/better stuff these days, my experience was 20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back