Dust removal from stator and rotor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggeorgetechnical

Electrical
May 11, 2004
US
Hi,

I spent a week recently at an industrial facility in a desert climate, and dust penetration into rotating equipment was stated by staff to have been a bit of a challenge. Multistage filters are used, but with frequent dust storms become reduced/plugged relatively rapidly. (There is a regular filter maintenance program in place) Eventually enough dust penetrates inside the motor to build up. It is visible to the eye, and if the rotor is indexed, during visual inspection, you can see little sand waterfalls of dust/fine grit drop from the rotor.

But, my question is: Is there a risk of damage to medium and high voltage stator windings, if dry ice blasted in situ? (to remove this dust)

Any comments or experiences, regarding the benefits/drawbacks of dry ice blasting for dust removal, versus pressure air removal,(or vacuuming out) of dust PARTICULARLY from the surface of stator and rotor winding surfaces will be appreciated?

This is a very fine dust, nearing the consistency of talcum powder. In the past I have some experience removing heavy contamination using dry ice blasting (i.e. municipal waste water, low voltage motors) but could use some comments from any who have used it for removal if finer contaminates from medium and high voltage motors, in the field.

Thanks,

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back