Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Duties and rights upon discovery of unsafe conditions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffre14

Structural
Jul 30, 2008
US
As structural engineers, we were retained to design an addition to a building. Partway through the design process, we realized that many aspects of the recently-constructed building did not satisfy basic structural building code. Namely, the building has zero lateral (wind or seismic) force resisting systems, in addition to an insufficient foundation (spread footings founded on thick layers of crummy landfill, clays, and organic matter). We alerted the client to this fact in writing--in a way that was professional and not alarmist. But believe me--it's a very serious problem. It's really unsafe.

The client is unlikely to take on the expense of doing any work at all--remediation or future addition. They sort of got screwed over by the previous designer and by the fact that somehow the building department didn't notice any of this when they permitted the construction. Nonetheless, I don't want to be on the hook for when something goes wrong. I also don't want tenants, neighbors, bystanders, or future buyers of the property to be at risk.

In addition to notifying the owner, I want to bring this to the attention of the local building dept. If you put on your lawyer's hat, would we be doing the right thing? Could a nasty lawyer potentially say we should mind our own business? Would this be within the engineer's code of ethics?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I understand that the building is unsafe, but, not in impending collapse. Time can be expended prior to any failure... is that correct?

If impending collapse is a possible, then you have little option... you must advise all involved, including the owner and authorities. If the collapse is less likely to be catastrophic then you have time to work with the owner to remedy. If remedy is not forthcoming, then you have to advise the authorities.

Some engineers and some jurisdictions might include advising them initially. I would normally advise them only if the owner was not prepared to undertake the repairs or at the time the remedial building permit was applied for. The owner has to undertake the remediation.

Dik

You have to address the deficiencies with the owner. If he refuses to act, the building authority should be notified in writing.

Then you need to decide whether the previous engineer or builder acted badly enough for you to refer them to the appropriate disciplinary body.

Hokie:
In this jurisdiction and others, you are obligated to advise an engineer that you are reviewing his work, either by code of ethics or as a professional courtesy. When I did my critique on the Algo Centre Mall collapse, I informed the Engineer that had prepared the report for the OPP that I was reviewing the report...

The critique was only used internally for a talk given to other engineers in the office and had very limited distribution... Copies were not presented to the engineers in attendance and only two copies to other engineers.

Dik

Follow whatever procedures are mandated in your jurisdiction, but if an engineer has been derelict or negligent, the Board (or whatever it is called) needs to be advised.

The problem with that is that sometimes, at least where I am, you have to jump through all sorts of hoops just to identify the other engineer. I have informed the Council here of defects in buildings, and have been refused my request to be informed of the identity of the engineer. Privacy, you know.

dik,
The duty to inform the previous engineer is not typical in all Codes of Ethics, e.g. not in Australia. And in the US, there is no obligation if the other engineer has been "terminated". The US code also has lots of conflicting canons which could give rise to conflicts of interest, but the overriding responsibility is to the public. My opinion, although it is not worth much, is that the requirement to inform the other engineer is anachronistic.

Yup...

In these environs, the owner or the new engineer with authorisation from the owner can get copies of the original sealed drawings, and, the engineer is identified. The association can then provide current information if not readily available. It's also a professional courtesy.

Dik

dik -

I assume this obligation is primary for work that is either in construction or already constructed previously?

I see the notification for structures under or finished with construction frequently, agree with that. But thinking of a typical peer review situation in the states for projects still in the design phase. Often times engineers don't necessarily know their work is being reviewed and even if they do, they often don't know who is doing it. We have SEs review our work on behalf of developers for insurance/risk analysis all the time and rarely have a clue until the developer forwards their final report our way and requests a response.

Similar issue when I've been on the other side doing value engineering for developers or contractors. We certainly know the company but often the drawings have not been signed/sealed yet, so we have no clue who the actual individual engineer is. If it's for a huge company like a Jacobs or WJE or WSP, it could be hundreds to thousands of people.

Any time you are reviewing the work of another engineer, whether it is pre-construction, under construction or already constructed, it may be an ethical requirement, and it is a professional courtesy to advise him that you are doing this. This varies all over the world. In these environs, it is established in the professional association's code of ethics.

About a year or so back I prepared (for personal use) a critique of the engineering report prepared by Dr. Hassan Saffarini, P.Eng. for the Algo Centre Mall partial collapse I informed him by letter (posted and eMail) that I was undertaking a review of his report. The intent of the report was never for public publishing and was only for internal office discussion, but, I had an obligation to inform him.

Notifications added to next message.

Dik

Thank you everyone for your replies so far. I apologize for my delay in response. (P.S. Can anyone advise how I can get email notification of replies to this thread?)

Clarifications:
The building is built and occupied. The 2-family structure was designed by a Registered Architect. I don't think an engineer was involved. We were not retained to perform a review of the existing structure or a peer review, but instead to explore feasibility of a new vertical addition on top of the existing structure. There is zero lateral strength in this existing building. If a design windstorm or even a moderate windstorm occur, I have not confirmed but my gut tells me that this building may completely collapse.

I am in the process of trying to get some resolution from the client. We will also be sure to provide courtesy to the RA as appropriate. I am still weighing whether or not to notify the local building department based on the client's response. I will try to keep you guys posted on the outcomes as they develop. If you have any more thoughts or pointers, I'm still happy to listen. I appreciate your input so far.

I wouldn't involve the authorities unless all else failed... The registered architect may have some financial liability in bringing the building up to code; he should be advised and given the opportunity to make things right. I wouldn't be advising the architects professional org unless all else failed. If headed to litigation then the architects prof org has to be advised ASAP.

Dik

Geoffre14 said:
P.S. Can anyone advise how I can get email notification of replies to this thread?

Top right, click the checkmark. In my personal email (gmail) these notifications go to the promotion tab for some reason.

I have seen a lot of messed up construction and feel it would take a lot of negligence to produce a structure that would collapse in a design wind event. Not saying you're wrong, but your statement seems a bit conservative. Is the building entirely skinned with windows or something? Are you omitting contribution of drywall?

My thoughts are you might have a code defect, but not a life safety issue. That changes things a little and if its the case, i'd notify the owner and move on. It's then in their court to disclose it to future buyers.

To add to what Forensic74 said, hasn't the building been exposed to a windy day already? If the building was that bad, it would be creaking and moaning for every breeze. The owner would know there's something wrong.
In my experience, most inadequately designed structures start to exhibit signs during construction. Some, like the Hyatt Regency or the Argo mall (actually a corrosion issue; very slow fuse) wait for years. But the construction team is usually the first to know.
I'm not saying you're not 100% correct in that the building is inadequately designed. But some engineers live right and their buildings stand up, even when they shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back