Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DWFs and OCE Plotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindo

Mechanical
May 6, 2002
GB

I have a problem that I haven't managed to solve yet and I'd appreciate some advise please.

We have recently started to use DWF files on our system, to allow us to keep track of revision stages etc.

When I plot an A1 size DWF to the plotter (Oce 5200 - A0 Roll feed) the drawings always rotate themselves along the length of the paper. While this is perfectly ok for A0 sized drawings it means that A1's have a 8" band of blank paper at the top of the drawing. The plotter does not seem to be rotating the plots to minimise paper use as I would expect it to.
The same is true if I send an A2 or A3 size DWF to the plotter, it aligns itself along the edge of the paper length wise. No rotating or nesting occurs (since I've turned nesting off, see later) so you end up with maximum waste of paper.

If I send an A1 print direct to the plotter from AutoCAD (2002) it will rotate itself correctly. Same if I send a plot (.plt) from the DOS prompt etc ...these come out fine. It only seems to be effecting DWFs.

We are currently using Volo View Express v2(the free download version) to print our DWFs. I thought that rotating the plot from VV might work but it doesn't look as though it supports this feature. Is it worth uprgading to the full package? ..has anyone used the full VV package?

I've not a great deal of experience with Oce plotters to date but the current settings on the machine that I think may be relevant are 'Nesting' - Off and 'Rotation' - 0.

Does anyone have any ideas an how I might alleviate the wasted paper problem, bearing in mind that I want to continue to use DWFs but I'd also like to be able to print direct to the printer via .plt's aswell without having to change settings between DWFs and PLTs.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back