Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dwg to word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danskur

Civil/Environmental
Oct 16, 2003
IS
How du I take a drawing and put it into at word document?
I've tried the print screen way, and that does work. But I have a 3D drawing and the lines are not hidden when I paste it over. The print preview/print screen way.....works also but I thought it must be a easyer way to do this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok. A Simple 5-Step Process-
1. Word IS a great choice for this. DON'T Print-Screen.
2. Get EXACTLY THE VIEW you want to export to WORD.
3. Use "Copy-Clip" or ^c (depending on your favorite method to "Copy" to the clipboard).
4. In WORD Format the page orientation (Horizontal or vertical format) and the size you want. A-size, & B-size are most typical, and may depand on what the recipient's printer will do.
5. In WORD ^V or paste. DO NOT "PASTE-SPECIAL"!!!
A normal plain-vanilla paste works best.
Once inside WORD you can drag corner grips to resize:
Single-Pick inside the image's box. Grip a corner by clicking and holding. Release at the desired size. TRY TO AVOID dragging that corner grip into a margin area. It Funks-Out page formatting!

If the WORD recipient also has ACAD on his computer, and as long as its a version as recent as 200x, they should be able to double-click on the image, and it will load.

Another cool fact- WORD holds the data file internally (to the WORD DOCument you've made) as a WMF. If you know much about file interoperability, this should suggest a whole "passle" of things you can do. Yet- and here's the cooler part, its still handed over to AutoCAD as a direct ACAD file! What does this say to YOU about file transfers, viewing (ever try to teach a client about file viewers? Whew!), formatting and printing! I've handed ENTIRE projects over to SECRETARIES who as serious professionals knew NOTHING about AutoCAD but were able to view, format, print and store ENTIRE PROJECTS because we gave the file set to them in a format they could use. Powerful stuff.

DOWNSIDE- NO ACAD FILE SECURITY. Concerned? Print the WORD document to a PDF file, and hand them that. They can't double-click the drawing into a session of AutoCAD, but everything else (within limits) is still available.

Need more details? Let's talk.

Good luck-
C. Fee
cfee@ev1.net

You can export the dwg to a wmf file, and then insert it into the work document. This works best for me.

Also, check out this thread

thread555-61411

[gorgeous]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back