Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DWSI Radiography (Using X-ray) for Boiler tubes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukmet

Materials
Aug 29, 2012
PK
Dear All,

I am facing a problem for boiler tube RT. The dia of the tube is 38mm and space between adjacent tubes is that you can insert two fingers. Our contractor is using X-ray tube and it is impossible to do DWSI as source placement at 90 degree is really not possible. The contractor is not ready to use a gamma source for it. What other options could be availed to cover the joint as per ASME requirements?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ukmet,
Get another contractor !
If you are the client you say to your contractor, RT those tubes - they then propose to you how they will do it.
They do not tell you how they will RT it !!!!!
Clients quite often stipulate X-ray (for its better quality) because they are sitting in a nice, comfy office thousands of miles away but the reality is you cannot fit an X-ray set in a lot of places in a boiler.

I am facing a problem for boiler tube RT. The dia of the tube is 38mm and space between adjacent tubes is that you can insert two fingers. Our contractor is using X-ray tube and it is impossible to do DWSI as source placement at 90 degree is really not possible. The contractor is not ready to use a gamma source for it. What other options could be availed to cover the joint as per ASME requirements?

As per ASME requirements you cannot RT a 38 mm OD tube DWSI with gamma or X-ray.
It is either DWDI or DWDI (Superimposed).

Gamma is used every day in boilers all over the world - what is your contractors problem ?
Regards,
Shane

ASME I does not require RT for these tubes. The requirements for RT are to be agreed upon by Purchaser and Manufacturer/Contractor within the Contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back