Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DXF solid problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlu

Computer
Apr 8, 2009
CA
We develop a graphical application able to produced different output file (PDF, EMF, WMF and DXF). We have a problem with DXF SOLID entities. For exemple if we have two rectangles one over the other one (making a big plus) I would like the edge of the rectangle under to be hide from the rectangle over has if it was fill with white color.

If I used SOLID entities with color 18 (black), everything appear OK in the model view, but in the layout view the Rectangle over appear in black.

Is someone can help me and please excuse my english.

mlu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chicopee,

No, I don't know how to draw in ACAD 3D. The graphic made by our application is in 2D, so the DXF object are in 2D.

If you think that you can show me something in 3D that it will help me, I'm ready to listen your solution.

Thank you.

Well I can get you a head start because there is a certain amount of activity. Believe or not 2D are 3D drawings with no elevation view, ie, Z=0 or a constant value.
In the View Pull Down Menu>3D Views> SW Isometric or any other selection; this will create a 3D environment with the three axis shown; experiment.
In the Draw Pull Down Menu> Solids> Extrude; this will take a 2D shape in the X-Y plane and create an elevation in the Z axis; take any 2D shape and make it a solid with this command.
In the Modify Pull Down Menu> Solid editing> Union, Subtract, Intersect.....;Union will take 3D
objects in contact with each other and create a new solid;Subtract will take object with each other and depending of the selection method will create a new object with deleted features; Intersect will take objects in contact with each other and create a new object which has a form common to the objects in contact only;.... the rest of the commands you'll have to play with them but they are relatively easy to learn.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back