Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynafocal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From... FAA-H-8088-32-V2... with Lycoming rubber-mount info...

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1718379976/tips/Dynafocal_grfbmz.pdf[/url]

Dynafocal_engine_mount_h6qptj.jpg

Dynafocal_engine_mount2_czjxcg.jpg

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

dee-amm ! ask a question, any question, get an answer !

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

The principal here is that weight is taken mostly in (stiff) compression and torsionals are transmitted in (soft) shear. There have been many odd arrangements of engine mounts over the years, at least in cars, up until about 40 years ago it was a bit of a black art. Here's a moderately well informed discussion

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

are you after the dim'ns ?

General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

The rings themselves are available from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty, ready to weld to whatever frame you like.

Here's a little bit; not enough I'm afraid, but maybe pointing the way. Maybe find dimensions for the O-320-A and O-320-B with dynafocal mounts and work backwards?

This might put some light on it

The 150-160-180 hp Lycoming Engines
We will confine our discussion to the 150 hp and 160 hp 320 series and the 180 hp 360 series. These engines are assembled largely from the same parts, and the differences are much more subtle than you might think. All of these engines use the same crankcase casting. The basic casting is machined for three different type of engine mounts. The conical engine mount was the first. This engine mounting system uses small rubber cones. The O-320-A and O-320-B engines use this mounting.

Next came the Dynafocal engine mount—now called the Type 1 Dynafocal mount. In this design the larger rubber isolators are positioned at an angle of 30°. The intent was to “focus” the mounts just ahead of the center of gravity of the engine/propeller combination. This mount proved to be very successful since it afforded a smoother ride. This Dynafocal mounting system is the most commonly used system.

When Piper introduced the Twin Comanche, the aircraft had long extensions to the propeller hubs. This gave an exceptionally clean cowling, but the center of gravity of the engine/propeller was moved ahead of the focal point of the Type 1 Dynafocal mounts, so the angle was changed to 18° to compensate. This is known as the Type 2 Dynafocal and is used on the IO-320-B1A engines. At the same time, larger “three inch” Lord isolators were developed.

So the crankcases are machined for one of the types of engine mounts—conical, Type 1 Dynafocal or Type 2 Dynafocal—and they cannot be converted to any other type.

"The hard axis of the mounts points at the cg of the engine, and are inclined at 30 degrees... if you had bothered to read the link."

...that's about as useful as telling me a rubber duck is yellow. Don't mean to be rude... but hey. There is a rectangular base pyramid that forms the basic geometry. Need to know the lengths of the rectangle, and the height of the pyramid.

There is a rectangular base pyramid that forms the basic geometry. Need to know the lengths of the rectangle, and the height of the pyramid.

Those depend on the airplane and where you want to mount the engine relative to it. The base isn't part of the mount specification. The maker of the engine with the dynafocal mount should have the information, though I keep running into dead links from Lycoming, for example. This one is for the O-320-E2A Lycoming with a dynafocal mount and a "Contact Us" for tech questions at
If you trust airboat people commenting:

"There are two different dynafocal mount types. Type I and Type II. Type I mounts are angled in at 30 degrees. Dimensions Type I are 13.290" width center to center. and 10.637" height center to center. "

That comment in turn references: "Kitplanes" Magazine, October 2012 issue,"Firewall Forward", for step by step build your own mount instructions

Lycoming IO-360-A3B6. Listed as a Dynafocal type 1 in their manuals.

3D dave... Thanks! I'll check that out and compare!

maybe better posted in the "engineers with hobbies" forum ?
(for a more sympathetic hearing)

Status
Not open for further replies.