Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dynamic and Kinematic Viscosity of (Aviation Gasoline) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

P99L

Mar 23, 2003
AU
Enquiry about the dynamic and kinematic viscosity of Aviation Gasoline (Avgas) 100LL.

Thankyou

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES

Typical values:
Grades:AVGAS 100LL
Test Method Unit
Physical state liquid
Colour blue
Odour gasoline-like
Boiling point/range ASTM D 86 °C 35 to 170
Density @ 15°C ASTM D 1298 kg/m3 725
Flash point (PMC) ASTM D 93 °C - 40
Kinematic viscosity @ 20°C ASTM D 445 mm2/s 1

You can convert the kinematic visc above to whatever units you are more familar with and then calculate the absolute viscosity using that and the specific gravity.

If you multiply the kin. visc. (mm[sup]2[/sup] = centistokes = cS) by the density (at the same temperature) you get the absolute (aka dynamic) viscosity in centipoises = cP.

TD2K: As far as I aware of the viscosity is not limited by specifications. Besides, the value quoted by you for viscosity seems to be a bit high according to my sources. They say the average viscosity for all aviation gasolines would be in the order of 0.75 cS at zero Celsius. Thus, it would have to be lower than 1.0 at 20[sup]o[/sup]C, or is it -20[sup]o[/sup]C ?

Changes of viscosities with temperatures are required to ensure adequate flows from tanks to engines, or for the design of nozzles in injection systems.

Kindly comment.

Hi, what i had found out is that the kinematic viscosity is 1x10^-6 (m^2/s)(for water), and 140x10^-6 (m^2/s)(for oil). Do u think kinematic viscosity for Aviation Gasoline (100LL) will falls some where in between?

Thankyou

Temperatures affect viscosities, thus as TD2K stated, these are given at certain temperatures.
What oil are you referring to (a mineral oil) and what temp.?
I think avgas 100LL would be less viscous than water at all working temperatures.

I'm out of town on business so I don't have my reference materials here. But as 25362 commented, I'd also exepct that Avgas would be lower viscosity than water.

P99L should contact an AvGas supplier for properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back