Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dynamic contact analysis with friction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alakin

Jun 1, 2012
US
Hi, first of all i want to excuse me for my bad english.
I need to make some analyses in patran and nastran with contact and friction. To do so i wanted to start with a dynamic analysis in order to understand better the parameters and their meaning. This analysis consists in making a cylinder rolling down a sloping plane.
The cylinder is subject to the force of gravity and initially it is not in contact with the plane so, for a brief moment, it is in free fall.
Both the plane and the cylinder are made of quad4 element. I set up the contact in patran and the sol600 selecting the bilinear coulomb as type of friction and a friction factor of 0.9.

Now what i get in the result file is that the cylinder as soon as it touches the plane, or briefly after, it stops. In another condition (but i don't precisily remember which one) I obtain that the cylinder slides without rolling onto the plane. Anyway i can't get a proper simulation of reality.

does anyone know how to properly set up the anakysis? is it right to use the sol600 (Unfortunately i can't use the sol400 analysis), should i prefer another solution or even another solver?

thanks for your help
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back