Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

E15 fuel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokie66

Structural
Jul 19, 2006
AU
I read that the US Government is to encourage the use of E15 fuel. What is the feeling in this group about the use of E15 in modern autos? I recall some time ago, Subaru Motors warned against it, and that it would void their warranty. Where I am, in Australia, the government policy limits fuel to E10.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That encouragement is from the National Corn Growers Association through it's lobbyists. Corn ethanol is a gross carbon negative for the environment, a net energy negative for the car owner, and a huge windfall for those making and selling fertilizer. Lots of money to be made in generating that much waste.

I am surprised that the Corn Growers aren't campaigning to cut the amount of ethanol with corn demand so high now.
This is more about trying to stretch the fuel supply right now.
Both corn and wheat are trading higher now than any time in the last 15 years (my charts don't go back further).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I think it's been E15 for the past 10 years or so, seems like the default fuel in the northeast. You have to find someplace with E0 if you have anything with a fuel system that's not compatible. Ethanol will corrode and mess up carbs that don't tolerate it.

Yep,
better read the owners manual or get on the manufacturer's website to check before doing anything rash.
Let the cars designed for it consume the E15.

"Schiefgehen wird, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

It's actually illegal to operate an engine on a fuel other than what it was certified on.

California regulations prohibit the conversion of emission-controlled vehicles with retrofit systems to operate on an alternative fuel, such as natural gas, propane, or ethanol, in lieu of the original gasoline or diesel fuel unless the retrofit systems have been evaluated and certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The certification of an alternative fuel retrofit system must be obtained by its manufacturer. Certification is issued by CARB once the manufacturer demonstrates compliance with the emission, warranty, and durability requirements. A manufacturer is defined as a person who manufactures or assembles an alternative fuel retrofit system for sale in California. An individual who wishes to convert a vehicle for personal use does not fall under this definition and cannot certify a retrofit system in California.

I also feel that releasing fuel from the strategic petroleum reserve is in error. These high prices are not going down soon. Any fuel released will have to be re-purchased at the new much higher price. The demand from restocking the strategic petroleum reserve is also going to push future prices even higher.

As far as I know, it's crude oil that is released. It had been $50-70 a barrel and is headed back down, currently $84, so buyback isn't likely a huge long-term problem.

Biden blamed the most recent spike on Putin, when it went from $90 to $125 a barrel in about 1 week following the invasion.

Notice that gasoline prices didn't drop to 20 cents a gallon when oil went negative. Reaching back, it was clear for a while that Putin was pushing for a fight, so I expect the oil industry was primed to make up for that negative price gap in their profits.

Looked it up, and the manual for my 2021 Subaru caps ethanol at 10%. Fine for me, as that is all we have in Australia. But the same manual applies in the US, so be wary. Not sure about other brands.

The SPR is not about the cost of the crude. It is not run on a straight buy/sell system.
There are credits and vouchers and swaps and such used.
I like hearing that it will be used since they are a customer of mine.
And whenever they run a lot things break and I will get phone calls.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back