Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Early 1900's Bldg - Flat Head Rivets? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

anchorengineer

Structural
May 26, 2009
US
Hi,
I've not come across this before but understanding early 1900's steel construction is constantly presenting something new/old to me. I've googled and found "flat head" rivets but I've only come across them for the first time on a rehab project. They are not in critical connections but I'm wondering if they should be replaced. At first I thought they were just a bad install but now I suspect that due to rivets adjacent to these, there was a clearance issue of the rivet gun, so they made the head flat. Other than the fact that they look ugly, I am wondering if they really need to be replaced. I've attached a sample photo (flat head rivets on right). Thoughts?
IMG_6085_c6qwdn.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agree it was likely done at construction.

If the heads are intact there's no reason to replace. Rivets wiggle their way into misaligned holes so bolts need to be drilled through, making an inferior connection.

you're welcome anchorman. I've seen a lot of rivets but never flattened heads.

If you do a lot of work with riveted structures you might find the attached drawing helpful. It's criteria for rivet replacement. I don't know the origin of the drawing - and neither does anyone in my age - but it's been around before I started working in the late 70's. Slightly different versions show up occasionally in NYSDOT bridge rehab projects. This is the version I used recently; I tweaked some of the text about 10 years ago. What's interesting is that I came across a study on rivet by USACOE a few years ago and their results correlated closely to the numbers shown.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7186b802-4729-4f29-9f9e-64ee08934f36&file=rivet_replacement.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back