Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Earth Leakage Relay and Earth Fault Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Has0n

Electrical
Mar 10, 2009
PH
What is the difference between Earth Leakage Relay and Earth Fault Relay? Are they the same? Another thing is the abbreviation LGR, is this refering to Earth Leakage Fault?I am reviewing the single line diagram of a plant and i am confused on the terminologies that i encounter. Any answer or suggestion will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our organisation used to use the term earth leakage, but now use the term earth fault.

The reason for the name change with us was many people think earth leakage relates to isulation failure, whereas earth fault is includes other conditions that could operate the relay.

It could also be the same here, but I would try and get some further details (eg schematic diagrams) to be sure.

I have often seen the term "earth leakage" define current flow that is below that of the protective relay's earth-fault pick-up setting. In this case, however, because the description is in regard to a relay, I believe the terms refer to the same thing.

I am not sure what "LGR" refers to. A quick Google search offered a couple of possibilities.

Loop-Gap Resonator
Light-Water Cooled, Graphite-Moderated Reactor

Perhaps if you shared the drawing, its context would shed light on its meaning.

---
Cory Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back