Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Earthwork Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdenafo

Civil/Environmental
Aug 21, 2007
US
I am researching new earthwork software for my company because we have had some concerns with our current software, "Eagle Point". I have read through a few forums on software and have narrowed it down to a few programs, Agtek, Quest, Sage-Timberline, Earthworks and Land Desktop. I am looking for some feedback on the different programs to help us decide which is the most accurate for cut/fills best value overall.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Care to expound on your EaglePoint concerns? I've used it for 10 plus years and found to conform to hand calc checks both by end areas and grid method.

In the past the software has been very good, but in this last job the cut/fill quantities were way off having us estimate a much lower quantity than what it was when it came down to construction and when compared to the contractors numbers. The Topo maps match-up but the quantities do not. Not sure what software the contractor is using.

I wouldn't just discount Eagle Point due to there being a difference between your's and somebody else's numbers.

Assuming you had good topo prior to project start (and your site is measured in acres and not square miles), it wouldn't be much of an exercise to figure out what the "correct" number is. You could at least get in the ball park.

To answer your original question, theoretically, all the "earthwork" software should give you the same number. That is, it's just calculating volumes. However, like any computer program, the data it spits out will never be better than the data that's put in. Two major points of interest are the shrink/swell percentages and the amount of topo coverage you have for the existing and finished grades.

I use Land Desktop, but have not really used anything else other than spreadsheet and average-end area. I'd recommend using whatever program you're using to do the design.

If you like to work using traditional methods (not CAD based) or just want something for quick estimates, here is a simple inexpensive earthwork software that is used by several state DOTs and consultants. It's called EARTH by Pizer Inc:

The simple data format lets you calculate just about anything with it. Very flexible. It handles shrinkage/swell, etc.

The predominant software used by site contractors in Central PA is Agtek. Contours can be downloaded from CAD files and cuts and fills can be calculated quickly.
Regions can be inputted allowing for grade adjustments to be calculated only over certain areas.

Example, a school building area is set at an elevation. The athletic field elevations may not be so critical. That area can be input as a region. The elevations of that region can be adjusted up or down to minimize hauling of excess dirt or importing of fill.
Agtek will also print how much the cut or fill quantities can be adjusted for every 0.1' elevation change for the entire site and for each region.

Thanks GrumpyG...I have found the Agtek is one of the most popular software packages used however we only use cut/fill software when its time to design a new landfill cell which is only once every few years. So although Agtek would more than exceed our needs the high price tag associated with Agtek stops us from going that route! Thanks again for the good info!

Did anyone ever check to see if the TOPO was accurate before beginning to move the dirt around? I have seen this happen more times that one. For the record I use Quest and feel that itwas the best of all that I looked in to.

Same here. Hence, my comment above, "However, like any computer program, the data it spits out will never be better than the data that's put in."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back