Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Earthwork Takeoff Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DirtDude

Civil/Environmental
Jun 21, 2006
US
We are thinking about buying a second takeoff station for our company. We currently use AGTEK Sitework '98 for our takeoffs. I am interested in AGTEK Earthwork 3d, but I can't get the AGTEK salesman to lower the price of the software. He says that he can only negotiate the training price, not the software. Is this the same information that everyone else is getting, or should I look into some other software?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First off, I apologize for the double post. Second, I am also looking for opinions on software other than Earthwork 3d by AGTEK. Since we are in the market to buy, I don't want to have tunnel vision just because I am used to one brand of software.

1 Dirtdude:

Last week I had the Agtek rep for the NW in my office all day. His demonstration was impressive, but god forbid you asked him a question outside of his current speel.

My company is in the market to switch from Terramodel due to the fact that they do not support the product compounded by the regional sales force has no idea how to use it!!!

I also have experienced that Agtek pricing is non-negotiable and they are very proud of the product. I would suggest you look at Carlson. It seems to do everything that Agtek does and a lot more at 1/2 the price +/-. Good Luck

Birdhunt

Hi 1DirtDude,
Since you are in the market to buy new software . try this Carlson Takeoff, This software is good too same w/ Agtek 3D. Good for GPS implementation (3D Model)., take off qty..

I have use PayDirt (Trimble) in the past and it is rather intuitive and easy to use. Their customer service is very helpful too. A lot of the contractors in Northern IL use Paydirt and were even willing to share thier secrets.
Paydirt was in about the $5,000.00 range several years ago, I am not sure how that price campares to the above listed programs.

In-Site (In-Site Software)is another program that I previewed. It seemed very similar to Paydirt but I seem to recall the price was a bit less.

I bought carlson, and not being an autocad expert, founf it extremely difficult to use. After a few months of trying to learn the ins & outs of carlson, I then bought Paydirt. The learning curve was short and sweet. There are issues in every earthwork program I have used. I, being an independent estimator, use on a regular basis, Paydirt, Agtek, InSite, Earthworks, Quest, Carlson (as little as possible) and others.

I really like Paydirt, but it has flaws in it also, but the volume calculations seem to be extremely accurate.

Try Carlson - it's awesome. Its a standalone product that does volumes, topsoils, subgrade adjustments, cut/fill maps, half the price of Agtek, and FREE tech support. Plus its utilizes an autocad engine -
Andy Portale
sitework.org

I use EarthWorks Pro and have had it for sometime now. It is easy to use. I have trialled Carlson and found it to complicated and actually fails to make assumptions on design levels, like design levels at site boundary should (most of the time) be the same as existing levels outside the boundary, which means you have more work to do to get it (the program) to understand that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back