Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

EASA 21J - Definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyster

Jul 13, 2005
AU
I'm looking into EASA 21J approval and found that EC 748/2012 is a little short on definitions.
In particular, I'm looking for a clear definition of 'Design Activity'.
It may well be buried in another related reg but I haven't yet found it if anyone knows and can direct me to it?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe it is the enabling legislation that creates the DOA organization (Design Organization Approval) whose purpose is the "design activity" of which you speak.
Informally, you may already realize that a "design" must be created before it can be "certified", and the business of creating that design is the "activity". So much for definitions based on the dictionary...
A specific definition from EASA? Written down in the legislative documents? That's a tall order: the EU bureaucracy is world famous.

Is there a different approach to this that will help?
Why do you want to know?

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
STF

"design activity" are the actions associated with designing the aeronautical product, for example drafting/drawing, analysis, testing, certification. Possibly that last one isn't "design activity" if you describe the creation of an aeronautical product into design/build/certify.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back