Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Easiest way to draw minimal box around odd shaped part? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FXjohn

Automotive
Mar 17, 2007
US
I don't have an advanced assembly license but I need to figure out how to draw a part with the minimal XYZ box so I can package it.
what's the easiest way to do it? UGNX 7.5.2.5

see attachment, and thank you very much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typically, drawing the smallest possible box involves setting up a coordinate system on a corner that you believe is on the same plane as one of the sides of the smallest possible box. We used to run a GRIP routine similar to the one that Joyce provided, and it works well if you set up a CSYS for it to operate off of, otherwise it will simply use whatever the active CSYS is (our program did anyway).

If your read the source program

$$ The resulting block is aligned with faces parallel to the
$$ principle planes of the wcs."

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6 & NX7.5

There is "Create Box" for Mold Wizard and Progressive Die Wizard which you may be able to use, depending on your licensing. Search in the command finder to find it. Or start - All Applications - Moldwizard -Mold Tools - Create Box.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

I forgot to mention I think it may create the box only relative to absolute csys. Check it out; perhaps it may be of use to you.

NX75
NX80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back