Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eccentric Loading of Welded Joint / Torsion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laserxenon

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2003
US
I am wanting to understand the difference between J & Ju. I understand that Ju is the unit polar moment of inertia and it must be multiplied by an area (throat for example) to calculate the stress at that point. I am good with the throat area derivation.

The way I am thinking about it, if you want to know the torsional shear stress at a specific point (say the extreme fiber for max shear) you would use J= 0.707*h*Ju.

If you want to calculate the average torsional stress, you would use J= Total Weld Throat Area * Ju. For example, two parallel, vertical welds each of length d, would be J= 1.414*h*d*Ju

Why in practice would you look at average torsional shear vs. max torsional shear (if I am understanding this correctly)? Wouldn't you always just check for max shear at the extreme fiber and not care what the average is? I believe that I have seen it done both ways.

I think that the total area is used for calculating the direct shear (F/Total Weld Throat Area), but still don't understand the difference between why you would use J=0.707*h*Ju (seemingly to evaluate max torsional shear at an extreme fiber) vs. J=Total Weld Throat Area * Ju (ie two parallel, vertical welds each of length d, would be J= 1.414*h*d*Ju )

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Laserxenon:
Take a look at Omer W. Blodgett’s books, “Design of Weldments” and “Design of Welded Structures,” from the Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation. They cover this topic in some detail. They are inexpensive and a really very good ref. books for engineers doing welding design for various structures and details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back