Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

eccentrically loaded support angle design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfdubz

Civil/Environmental
Jun 23, 2021
US
This may soiund like a simple question to some of you, but I have worked in water and wastewater all my life and now I have a structural question that I am having difficulty resolving. I am trying to determine the stress that an eccentrically loaded angle may exert when mounted on on a thin wall pipe, much like a harness lug for thrust restraint in a piping application. What size angle do I need for a specific load? What is the stress level exerted on the pipe wall? May be a simple question and maybe I need to do some more reading, but I am not sure of a good reference or for the answer.
Help!
[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1624466838/tips/Eccentric_Load_Question_atei4g.pdf[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Pfdubz

Need another view, what’s the pipe diameter and will the angle section be machined to match the pipe radius?
That said I would start be just stressing the welds assuming that the pipe section and angle section are relatively thick and strong, can you provide the force involved and the pipe sizes?

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

I'm thinking there are standard pipe hanger details that might include a nice safe solutions.

If I was forced to start from scratch I'd be concerned about the leg of the angle deforming to change the 90° angle's angle.
Then there is the fear the leg of the angle would dent or crack the tubing.
Then there is the worry the upper weld (in tension) will rip out of the tubing.
The solution might end up with a bracket welded to the pipe. The bracket would have substantial "length" in the direction of the applied load.
Like figure H here -

You give us almost zero information to work with .... are you from the mideast ?

What are the loads, materials etc ect ????? Is the pipe 4" diameter or 40 feet diameter ????//?

Double the pipe wall thickness by placing a 360 degree collar around the pipe. Make the collar length 2-4 times the leg length of the angle OR one pipe diameter as a minimum. The collar should be approximately the same thickness as the pipe

Weld the 360 degree collar to the pipe, all around.

Have a shop roll an angle 360 degrees at the correct diameter. Cut the rolled angle into segments as desired to suit the geometry and weld the rolled angle to the new collar at the location of the load

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back