Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eccentricity load application

Status
Not open for further replies.

3JC

Mechanical
Jul 12, 2010
PE
Dear collages from forum,

I have a question: is it possible to apply a eccentricity in the application of a puntual load? I send in attach a picture of the problem: it is a portal, and puntual loads have to be applied in the crane runway line.
Thank you very much.

Regards,

Juan José

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since frames are modelled as single lines using their centroid axis, you cannot apply such loads directly. But instead you can apply additionally the resulting moment at the center of the cross section. This would be a proper modelling in my mind.

Analysis and Design of arbitrary cross sections
Reinforcement design to all major codes
Moment Curvature analysis

Dear John,

The method that you say, I didn´'t like to do because it is necessary to modify the geometrie and the loads when changes are performed. I have designed the column under the runway line and then I have apply a constrain with the upper columns. Results are identical. Thank you very much anyway.

Regards,

Juan José

Use of joint constraints, as you've discovered, is a convenient way to assign eccentric loading. You can rotate local axes of joints and/or frames to assign load in any direction. Frame insertion point is another modeling approach for eccentric loading.

Dear collages: thank you very much. One adittional question: when I modify the position of a bar (when I move it) then loads apply dissapear, and the same thing with boundary conditions (supports) or constrains. Do you know anyway to avoid this, has the software any option to unvalidate this? Thank you very much.

Regards,

jJ

The load definitions do not disappear when you move a frame if they are assigned to the frame. Be more specific how you move it.

Anyway I prefer using replicate option instead, because you can choose which assignments to copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back