Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eddy current force amplification

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwemag

Materials
Mar 28, 2006
CH
Eddy currents are induced in a nonferromagnetic piece of metal conductor, e.g. aluminium or copper, when it is placed next to a conductor with high frequency AC. A magnetic field opposite to the 1. field is produced in the metal, ("mirroring"), therefore producing a repulsive force, which in certain applications can be used for stable levitation (without violating Earnshaw’s law since eddy current levitation is similar to diamagnetism).

I am trying to optimize the design for a magnetic confinement which cannot be solved with DC current, but rather by "eddy current levitation" (
Assuming you have two wires of e.g. copper, in proximity and parallel to each other, both having a thickness grater than the minimum thickness needed to provide maximum repulsion force related to the frequency of the AC field.

Case 1: The first wire carrying high frequency AC, the second one without current. The AC field will produce eddy currents in the second wire.

Case 2: Both wires carrying AC with the same high frequency but with maximum phase shift.

I don't have an appropriate simulation programm to evaluate eddy currents and therefore difficulties in comparing the forces given in the two cases. I need to evaluate whether the repulsion force will be greater in one of the two cases, and if so, by how much the force will increase relative to the weaker case. I assume case 2 will create a greater force, since the eddy currents would be produced in both wires, but I'm rather guessing.

Thanky for any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back