Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Edit font file

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheenangel99

Oct 13, 2008
NL
Hi,
Any help on how to edit font file to include a new sysbols using character font. How do we get LM, LD values present in the font file.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thankyou so much for the reply. Any idea on what LM and LM parameters signify in the fnt file format. And how to give those parameters for new characters

to be honest, I would recommend you instead use a true type font.
The only reasons to keep using the old Unigraphics fonts are if 1) you still use a pen plotter (!?!) or 2) these fonts are extremely easy to use for CAM engraving .

It is possible to add characters, but it will take you a day at least to understand how and another to do it.
( If you can hire John Baker on an hour basis, he can probably do it in a snap.)
I did know how to, but that was 30 years ago...

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Thankyou so much Toost for replying. We follow the iso_font.fnx file in my company and under no circumstance are we supposed to change the font or use windows fonts. I have absolutely no knowledge on fonts and i am currently investigating on why few tolerance modifiers are unavailable in iso_font or for that matter any nx font file. So maybe i will have to spend a few days to understand and do it but i dont know if i can afford hiring John Baker :) So any documentation or any link to help me understand would be really helpful. I have time till Monday to fix this so hopefully i will be able to do it.

I have attached an image showing the issue

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=282b6d38-b377-4a2d-9514-3ae8a1451a03&file=pic1.jpg
Sorry, I retired in 2016, and while if I had a copy of NX, I could probably help you out, but since I don't... Well, you see the problem ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Try the Latin_Extended font. If I remember things correct, it is identical on the characters but . ; : and possibly the i will be visible printed. ( it was created because of this.)
And, it contains a number of more characters . Try that before you modify the iso_font.

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

If I remember from my UG days, the LM and LD commands are like a pen up and pen down command to a Gerber plotter. The characters all have a rectangle that defines their size. The movement within that block determines the letter that will be seen on the screen and in plots.
The problem with modifying a standard plot is when you share your files with someone else and they don't have that modified font. The characters will wither be blank or the box with a line through it like in your image.
It is best to stick with a supplied font or move to a Windows true-type font that everyone should have.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thankyou so much @JohnBaker, @Toost and @looslib for your replies. Unfortunately my company does not agree to change the iso_font.fnt to some other fonts.I will try to modify the LM and LD commands and see how it works. Also can anyone provide any information on ttf files and how to use them

Try the latin extended and see if it does what you want, then copy that file and rename it Iso_font. ... :)

/ Tomas

That would work as long as everyone got the renamed file and the files never went out as native files.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back