Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit object display and translucency 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrist

Automotive
Feb 4, 2014
US
I am working in NX8.0.3.4
Why is it that when I edit object display to change a face color it asks if I want to turn on translucency? I always have to click NO. But there is a "yes always" button. If I mess up and hit the yes always, because I happen to get click happy, then I am stuck with turning off (Preferences - Visualization - translucency) in the pull down. What a pain! Is there a easier way to switch this, and why can't I have a "NO always, leave me alone" button.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The ONLY time that you should EVER see that message is if the 'Disable Translucency' was toggled ON in...

Preferences -> Visualization Performance -> General Grpahics

...and you've either changed the translucency setting while the 'Edit Object Display' dialog was open or the body/face had already been previously edited and had the translucency set to something other than '0' when you opened the dialog. If translucency has never been messed with for the object selected and you're ONLY editing it's color, the system should NOT have asked you to 'Enable Translucency'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I've looked into this a bit and while my previous statement stands, there is an issue with your second problem and that it that if you accidentally select 'Yes Always' there is NO way to 'unset' this condition. Now there will never be an option to set 'No Always', that's just NOT going to happen, however, I am trying to get a change made that will give you at least a way to easily reset this so that you will once again get the question as to whether you wish to override the Performance Preference or not. Also I'm going to dig up the information on how to reset the current setting albeit using a NOT so easy to use approach. I'll get back to you when I work it out.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

OK, what I've done is create a little 'utility' that you can run from your desktop which will reset the 'Yes Always' setting if you ever mess up again. Download the attached file, edit the file extension from '.zipper' to '.zip' and extract the .bat file. Now just place it on your desktop (either the file itself or a shortcut to the original file) and if you again accidentally select the 'Yes Always' option and you'd like to get the old 'No/Yes' dialog again, just exit NX, double-click this file and then restart NX and you'll be back in business.

Note that if anyone else wants to use this utility, that's fine, just keep in mind that it's specific to the version of NX that you're running. So if you want this to work with say NX 8.5, you'll need to edit the .bat file and change the two places where you will see '\NX\8.0\' to '\NX\8.5\'. Now you can use this with any recent version of NX just as long as you make the correct changes keeping in mind that it will always require digit(s) before and the first digit after the decimal place of the NX version, such as \7.5\ or \8.0\ or \8.5\ or \9.0\. Do NOT include anything more than just the first set of characters. In other words, the MR's done count, just the primary version designation.

Anyway, give it shot and let me know if this helps.

BTW, I'm still going to work on getting something that can be reset from within NX itself but this will work for now.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=aba83913-f1b0-40d4-b583-a196fe2584ff&file=reset_NX80_translucency_registry.zipper
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back