Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing HEC-RAS geometric data 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana418

Civil/Environmental
Dec 14, 2010
US
I'm in HEC-RAS and trying to break a river and then delete the segment. Does anyone know if I can do that? Basically I want to cut off my model not a node and therefore want either add a junction and create a new reach, that I will then delete, or find a way to delete a section of river.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

HEC-RAS files are plain text. You can do whatever you like as long as you preserve the formatting. The reach geometry is two columns from downstream to upstream read left-to-right; not the easiest to edit in Excel, but doable and then pastable back into Notepad. Save a copy before you start playing, of course!

I'm nervous to mess with the text file but have heard other things I can tweak using this method. I used to run HEC-2 and can Identify the cross sections easily, however the rivers seem daunting with "7 digit.8digit sp 7 digit.14 digit.14 digit.8 digit" numbers. What is what? You've said its two columns, but I can't tell where they start and stop. This is of course guessing the river geometry preceeds the cross-sections.

An alternative if reading the text file gives you a headache, and if you’re not really sure what to delete:

1. Create a new reach and intersect the downstream end at the location of the desired split.
2. Answer: "Do you wish to split reach..." with yes.
3. Rename the reach below the split. Above the split the current name will remain.
4. Name the new junction to be created.
5. Delete the reaches and junctions you don't want.

Thank you - that worked and I don't have to worry about messing up the code. I would like to get familar with the code at some point, but this fix worked and is going to save me considerable time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back