Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Editing STEP Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN1981

Aerospace
Sep 29, 2015
IN
Primarily a Catia user here...kinda have to work on Solidworks as well...probably will work on both CAD packages as needed.

So we receive a lot of assemblies in STEP format and after importing in to SW, if I need to edit individual parts within assembly, how do I go about it? In Catia, I just double click on the desired part and the workbench switches to Part module from Assembly. Currently, in SW, I understand one needs to right click and select Edit Part (is also accessible from Ribbon bar?) but in this instance, I just don't see Edit Part icon.

Secondly, one of the routine operations I do is extract intersects between my geometry & a bunch of planes. Once I get the intersects, I need to split the intersect in to two segments (my intersects are aerofoils and I want to split it in to top & bottom ones). In SW, I am getting intersects as 3D sketch but I am not able to figure out how to split the 3D Sketch in to two curves.

In Catia, I usually create a surface that goes from leading edge to trailing edge and use that to split the intersects. I am hoping to follow similar procedure in SW but not sure if its possible.

Hoping to get some pointers here. I am sure I have other questions as days go by...
Thanks in advance...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately for all of us, no one posted screen shots of the assembly tree or feature tree for us.

Is the part an assembly or a mulit-body part?

First, you need to save the file and all the associated parts. Then you should be able to see the Edit parts icon.

Edit-Part_t9eyeb.jpg

2nd:
Split_Entity_pzjm2j.jpg

Split_Entity2_tqzeva.jpg

Could try using either another plane to intersect the sketch possibly. Or you can create the 3D sketch as one surface and use a plane to split or "cut with surface" feature. Another solution that I have used several times is: create the 3dsketch as one surface, offset the surface at 0.0 then using the plane or another surface to cut the original surface in one direction, then using the same surface or plane cut the offset surface the opposite way. That way you have two surface sections that should be tangent to each other.

Hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Dapco, INC

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Firstly, thank ya'll for the replies and sorry for responding back late. I haven't had a chance to try out what ya'll suggested (hoping to do it tomorrow).

SBaugh, I think you are splitting entities in Sketcher mode. I was hoping for a way to split curves outside the sketch environment i.e. using entities like another line, surface, point or planes. I will look around to net to see if it can be done.

You don't need to split the original sketch, you can create 2 additional sketches that use the 1st one and your intersect planes as reference geometry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back