Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EDT 150 distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer0006

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2009
We are currently using ETD 150 for a 2-1/2”Ø shaft that requires a 3/8” x 1/4” Keyway 10” long. The part is warping up after machining what can I do to prevent this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ETD 150 stands for elevated temperature drawing. The steel is a 4140 steel that is mechanically drawn to put stresses into the bar. Once the bar is machined especially in a non symmetrical fashion it will have a tendency to move.

A better alternative is a material called FLEXOR. FLEXOR has higher alloy content than 4140. When it is rolled or forged it will air cool to 30 HRC. FLEXOR is very stable through machining and will exhibit higher properties than ETD 150. (for example: FLEXOR charpy impact in ft/lbs is 86 vs ETD 150 which is typically less than 10). FLEXOR even maintains though hardness up into the large diameters 11”-12”. Go to Pennsylvania Steel Corporation – they are a single source for this material. (

The part is warping up after machining what can I do to prevent this?

I would conduct a low temperature stress relief treatment before deciding on switching steels. This can be accomplished with a local heat treatment company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back