Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Education advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajuncanuck

Civil/Environmental
Aug 13, 2015
CA
I'm currently an environmental science student concentrating in soil and water. I will also graduate with a minor in geology. I really like my program and I have learned a lot that is applicable to many environmental issues. My goal is to eventually do large scale site assessments. I want to work in the field, I love working in the outdoors. I see a lot of job opportunities for environmental engineers and far less for environmental scientists. I would have taken environmental engineering however it was not offered at the school I committed to on athletic scholarship. I am now an junior and looking at what I want to do when I graduate. I am not sure if I should go to another school and get a B.S in environmental engineering or do a masters in environmental engineering. I'm looking for professional opinions as to which post degree path I should take. I have plenty of time to decide but I'd like to have a solid idea of what is more valuable before I get my mind set on something.
Thanks
JB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Find someone who rents environmental engineers, and try to get a summer job there, while there's still a little summer remaining.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

There are tremendous advances in membrane technology as applied to both water treatment and wastewater processing, and the "canuck" in your username indicates that you may find application for these skills in Ft McMurray. It looks as if they are going to leave behind quite a mess. In-situ bio-reactor technology is also progressing quickly.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

I don't think there's enough difference between a BS in Env. Sci and a BS in Env. Eng to justify the second degree-- especially if you're looking toward a field role rather than an office role. The MS in Env. Engineering programs I've seen have also been focused on numerical modeling of (contaminant transport, etc) type problems, so I don't know if that's an ideal fit either.

So words on your diploma be damned, it sounds like you should go find a field environmental job (with a consultant, contractor, or developer). If you really want the credential value, I'd recommend the MS.

Thanks for the advice. Contaminant transport is of interest to me. I did a fairly in-depth project (for undergrad) on it this past year and really enjoyed it. It is a field I would enjoy working in once day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back