Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EE testing lab - configuration suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

79BirdofPrey

Mechanical
Aug 28, 2010
US
Hello all,

I have been tasked with redesigning our electrical test area for our engineers. I am personally a mechanical engineer and know nothing about such testing, and the electrical engineers have not been able to give me any sound feedback as to how they would like their work area oriented/configured.

Some of the primary test equipment includes power supplies (AC/DC), load banks, and then your standard multimeters and other hand held measurement tools. Currently, most equipment is on rolling carts but we are trying to find a way to consolidate equipment to save space as well as make the area operate more efficiently.

Does anyone have experience and/or pictures of a world class lab layout? I need to make something clean and organized which is conducive to testing. This is primarily a configuration issue. I can not hang shelving from the walls because the walls are not strong enough (the entire room is more of a sectioned of partition, a glorified cubicle if you will) so any shelving/benches must be freestanding with posts.

Feedback is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your post doesn't provide any details, so the only advice will be generalized.

Typically a test bench would have an upper shelf where all the test gear is arranged. The Unit Under Test (UUT) typically sits on the lower surface. Most test leads and cables are about three feet long, so the primary test equipment clusters in the middle. Power supplies can be towards the side, but if they have displays or meters, then should be within view. Test cables are leads hang in a special holder at one end.

Tools can be in a tool chest off to one side. The EE will make a pile of tools beside the UUT.

EE test bench should have ESD grounding points for the wrist straps. Your policies may vary.

The basic component, I think, is as VE1BLL describes; workbenches are mandatory. The big question is some level of project segregation, and "borrowing" of equipment. We have our lab laid out in bays, which are about 12ft wide, with 2 benches in a row on either side of the aisle in the middle of the bay. The next bay's benches are back to back with the adjacent one's. This allows multiple projects to share the overall space without necessarily running over each other and vying for bench space. We attempted to track and bookkeep which project has which bay, and for how long, etc., but it required more resources to do the bookkeeping than we wanted to expend, but we do have a lab "manager" who's ostensibly responsible for maintaining order in the lab, and adjudicating arguments.

Equipment borrowing, however, is nearly impossible to eliminate, since no one in their right mind would invest in a full complement of equipment per bench, or even per bay, simply because the ROI would be pathetic.

Obviously, another big question is how busy are the labs. We tend to go in fits and spurts, which is another reason to minimize available equipment, particularly if they're idle 75% of the time. One approach is to use the same paradigm as the US Army, i.e., be able to fight two wars simultaneously, while supporting a couple of minor engagements and skirmishes elsewhere.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Given existing walls, you will probably end up with surface wiring, e.g. conduit and 4x4 boxes screwed to the wall surface.

You may want to ask that the boxes and conduit be installed above the benches, so you don't have to crawl on hands and knees under the benches to reach the outlets at the normal standard elevation of 14-ish inches from the floor.

There are several related problems here.

If you ask for the outlets to be at some other height, e.g. elevated somehow, the next standard dimension they will use is 48". This is a huge problem for workbenches, because it puts the outlet elevation dead center at the height of the riser shelves, so you can't push the benches against the wall, or even near it.

Note also that wall switches are customarily installed at 48" off the floor, again clashing with riser shelves.

So, ideally, there are three elevations where you might want to install outlets and possibly switches:

60" above floor level, well above the risers.
54" afl, just a bit above the risers.
42" afl, above the bench and below the riser

OR, if you can't budge the stupid electrician, e.g. because of union rules or some such foo, consider installing outlet strips along the _bottom_ surface of each workbench top, 6" back from the front face, where you can at least reach the plugs to remove them, and not interfere much with clamping stuff to the front edge of the bench. If you want drawers under the benches, then you'd want outlet strips only where there are no drawers, of course.

One other problem; merely asking is not enough.
Since electrical installation plans typically include only a plan view with no dimensions, these elevations are hard-wired into electricians' minds by years of repetition. If you want anything different, you will need detailed riser diagrams of each and every wall, with dimensions showing where you want everything.

... at least that's how I'll do it if I ever get to lay out a lab again.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Note that in both cases, you can actually see the underlying bench, so no actual testing is going on. ;-)

Seriously, the one devolves into the other, as test sequences evolve, and you are forced to rearrange the test instruments so that all the necessary test leads will reach the UUT while remaining short and direct enough to not degrade the test data.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Strongly suggest you sit down with the EEs and their equipment - AND work out what they want. If they are happy - everyone will be happy - if not - IT WILL BE YOUR FAULT.

I have ALWAYS been very successful in doing this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back