Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EES (Engineering Equation Solver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andradesilva

Materials
Jun 20, 2017
PT
Hi,

I derived a 4th degree equation that I am using in EES (Engineering Equation Solver). The system solves very well, but when I try to add my equation, which is a 4th degree equation, the software gives the error that I show in the picture that attach to this post. The equation is A = 102369 - 3.06e11*B^4
The unknown is B. A is a known scalar, and I checked its value. It's correct. The equation is well derived, I already checked it. The .EES file runs without problems if I change the equation to a 1st degree one, resulting, of course, in totally wrong results.

Can someone tell me what can be going on?
Thank you,
Best regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure, but in general systems of equations can be solved in a stable manner if each equation is expressed to a power less than or equal to 1. Try rewriting the equation as B=(102369-A)^.25

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

Conversely

B = {(102369 - A)/(3.06e11)}^0.25, or **0.25 if that's the syntax

Mathcad's solver has occasionally burped and needed to get a different expression of the equations to get it to work.

I think that linearizing the unknown usually makes the solver happier. Anything higher order than 2 results in multiple roots that can cause problems if they are too close together.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

IRstuff conversed equation is correct but be careful about A not being greater than 102,369 which may explain the error in EES.
It seems that the OP's equation was derived from a regression analysis; is that correct?

Hi!

Thank you very much for the help.

Mr. Davefitz:

I revised the equation to the one you suggested. I got this error: Run 1: This equation atttempts to raise a negative number to a non-integer power

Mr. Latexman

I tried to use ** instead of ^ for the exponent. Same error appears in both cases: Run 1: This equation atttempts to raise a negative number to a non-integer power

Mr. IRSstuff

I think that if { and/or } are used elsewhere, the characters in-between are not recognized by the EES solver as equations. I tried it and I get a sintax error.

Mr. chicopee,

Yes, this equation was derived from data obtained from experimental tests in the company I work.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thank you all once again,
Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back