Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

effect of coolig water temperature on temperature of all components in a water jacket cooled motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpvnaresh

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2015
IN
Hi ..

I am simulating a water jacket cooled induction motor. I solved the simulation for two cases

case 1 : cooling water inlet temperature 30 degree Celsius.

I this case the outlet water temperature is 31.4 degree Celsius.

and the temperature at the area of interest (Stator) temperature is 55 degree Celsius.

case 2 : cooling water inlet temperature 40 degree Celsius.

I this case the outlet water temperature is 41.4 degree Celsius.

and the temperature at the area of interest (Stator) temperature is 65 degree Celsius.

and i observed the temperatures of all the components is 10 degree Celsius higher than in case 1.

To confirm this , tried a simple model - a heat generating sphere is kept in a flowing water pipe.In this case also for every 10 degree Celsius rise in temperature there is a 10 degree Celsius rise in heat generating ball.

So if cooling medium inlet temperature is rised by X degree Celsius, all temperatures in the model rises by X degree Celsius.Is it correct .

i personally believe it is not.Then why my simulations are saying that?

Please guide me, this a very crucial.

Thanks in advance.

Note . I am using Acusolve 2021. Mesh is prepared in HM with AcuSolve profile.
Material heat capacities are constant(does not vary with temperature).All solutions are well converged.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i personally believe it is not.Then why my simulations are saying that?

Why do you "believe" that? What is your rationale for defying conservation of energy?

Note that at some theoretical point, when the heat flow multiplied by the thermal resistance exceeds the temperature difference between the source and the coolant, the model will break down, but you are nowhere close to that

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

many thanks.
Could you please eloboarte.
I am new to CFD and thermals. I want to study how the density, heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the components and the temperature of the cooling water effects the temperatures of the machine.
Please bear with me if i am asking a very basic things.

Look up Fourier's Law -- heat flow is proportional to temperature difference. The converse is also true; temperature difference is proportional to heat flow. If the heat flow is the same, then the temperature difference is unchanged, regardless of the absolute temperature value, up to a point. All analogies eventually fail; there are absolute temperature dependent thermal characteristics that can alter the thermal resistance, which would change the temperature difference.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back