Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect of Magntes on the Bluetooth systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmonroe

Mechanical
Jun 3, 2005
ES
Dear all,

I am mechanical engineer but involved in a bluetooth project. We want to attach the device to a metallic surface with magnets.

I am concerned about the probable effect fot the neodymium (NdFeB) magnets on the electronics... Do you know if is there any problem if you the magnet (diameter: 3mm, lenght: 4 mm) within a distance of 2 - 3 mm of the board?

If you are not familiar with magnets, perhaps you can give me a kind of "magnetic strength" of the bluetooth systems... I mean, which magnetic fiels can be accepted and which not

Thank you very much for your help,

Yours,

Oscar Jiménez
Barcelona (Spain)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not aware of any effect a static magnetic field would have on a bluetooth module or the components it might have internally. Inductors at this frequency are not loaded with a ferrite, and even RF modules at lower frequncies the ferrites are not attracted by a magnet so I would assume there would be no bias or saturation effect.

Are you seeing an issue?

The Hall Effect is pretty weak. Probably no effect.

In theory, a magnet can 'bias' ferrites, but you're not likely to see any effect at all.

Watch out for relays (very unlikely that there are any).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back