effect of stiffeners in decreasing base plate thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELSARWAN

Civil/Environmental
Jan 25, 2015
EG
hi guys,
i seems logic that using stiffeners in base plate will decreasing the base plate thickness ,however i can't find any reference or guide to calculate the stiffener effects,
aisc design guide for base plate shows the rigid cantilever method for base plate design without stiffeners .

what i thinking is by adding stiffener in bearing side of base plate i can calculate it's inertia and adding it to the base plate and divide the moment coming from bearing stress over the section modulus for whole section (base plate with stiffener )then i can got smaller thickness

but in tension side how will be it's effect

i hope to find any advice here
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Blodgett does indeed present an example (no calcs) of a base plate with a grillage assembly of stiffeners on the underside. It makes for a pretty serious base plate. I can't say that I've ever had the privilege.

Capture2_nwgptd.jpg

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

elsarwan...yes. Gussets will reduce the thickness of base plates. I don't recall a reference, but I have manually calculated the influence in the past (mostly based on bending) and would use FEA to do so now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back