Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect of Type of Hydrates on Inhibiton consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawsan311

Chemical
Jun 21, 2019
AE
Dear All,

In case hydrates are depicted by simulation software that it can form under the stream's conditions while showing hydrate type as type I. knowing that hydrate type I are relatively less stable than the other hydrates type like II and H, would this contribute in reducing the requirement of methanol inhibitor in l/hr?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

for many natural gas mixtures, both hydrate structures I and II can form,
(as simple hydrates, C1, C2, CO2, H2S form structure I while N2, C3, NC4 form structure II etc.),
as general rule, given a temperature, structures II can form at lower pressure than I ,
the presence of thermodynamic inhibitors such as alcohols (as methanol) or glycols causes a change in phase equilibria and the contribute can be evaluated solving a multiphase flash operation at some specified conditions,
another option is the Hammerschmidt equation or similar methods,
to define the amount of inhibitors I compare the results from multiphase flash (solved with Prode) with other methods and experimental results,
note that comparing different methods you can expect quite large differencies when inhibitor / water weight fraction > 0.3-0.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back