Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect on pH of sodium bisulphite addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipp79

Civil/Environmental
Nov 3, 2006
GB
I am wanting to confirm the impact on pH of sodium bisulphite being added to water. To do so, I need to calculate the number of H ions liberated when sodium bisulphite (NaHSO3) is added to water. For example, I know for ferric chloride the reaction is

FeCl3+3H20 ⇌ Fe(OH)3+ 3H+ + 3Cl-

i.e. 3 Hs and acidity is released. What is the equivalent reaction for NaHSO3 and H20? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is a very complex reaction with various ionic species in equilibrium.

form_vmd2yl.jpg

The amount of CO[sub]2[/sub] present in the finished solution depends on by the type of system and the pressure. If the system is open to the atmosphere, the reaction is driven to the right and the dissolved CO[sub]2[/sub] is released to the atmosphere. The pH will tend to increase with the release of the CO[sub]2[/sub].

If the finished solution is pressurized, the final solution will hold the CO[sub]2[/sub] in solution. The retained carbonic acid will tend to slightly lower the pH and be mildly acidic.

When the CO[sub]2[/sub] is released from solution, the reaction is driven to the right side of the equation, the concentration of acid ions decreases, but the hydroxides from the equilibrium B are still present. The ultimate end products from the reaction in an open system (open to the atmosphere) with a low partial pressure of CO[sub]2[/sub] will have a slightly higher pH, and can be described as mildly alkaline solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back