Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Effects to ABS after brake fluid replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2012
MY
Brake pedal height changed after fluid replacement. I need to depress the pedal more to brake. Mechanic was telling me that ABS got an issue. He needs to reset from the ECU to correct it. Cost is 40dollars.

Mechanic told me my knowledge is low and I would not understand. I just need to decide to proceed with his method or not.

I told him I need to find out more.

Any expert can share if this is possible ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you get an air bubble into a place that it shouldn't be?

Air bubbles in an ABS module may require a special service procedure to bleed it, and it typically requires connecting the vehicle to a diagnostic tool to run the pump and cycle the valves in a certain way to get fluid through the module and get air bubbles out.

"I am not sure how bubbles can get in. Its just a regular fluid replacement procedure. Or the mechanic does not know how to do it and mess it up with bubbles ?"

It's absurdly easy, particularly after a fluid change, because the brake lines need to be drained at the wheels. Fluid is then added, potentially trapping air between the master cylinder and the brake. If you went cheap, they bleed the line a couple of times and call it quits.

The low pedal height is very typical of poorly bled brake lines. It's possible that one line isn't even bled at all.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I went to another shop and repeated the bleeding. It is solved now.

I am shocked the mechanic hand over the vehicle to me in that manner.

Beware of semi skilled mechanics .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back