Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Efficiency calculation (hours worked & # of operators) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerbilt

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2003
US
I need help on generating an equation/formula (something) to aid in determining an efficiency rating for a manufacturing line. The question arrises when I try to determine hours worked and number of operators. How do you decide on the hours worked when I have 6 people working 9 hours and 8 people working 8 hours? How can I balance that. Also, how do you compute number of operators on the line when employees come and go at different times?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Powerbilt;

Some suggestions for calculating your effectiveness.

(1)You must first determine your available hours/day.
6 x 9 hrs = 54
8 x 8 hrs = 64 for a total of 118 available hours/day.

(2) Determine how many hours are not attributed to production and are related to PF&D (Personal fatigue and delay). i.e. unscheduled restroom visits, occasional water cooler trips, a little BS with other operators, you know, all the human things. Hopefully not unreasonable or out of control.
Estimate is .25hrs/day/operator

6 x .25hrs = 1.5hrs/day
8 x .25hrs = 2.0hrs/day for a total of 3.5 hrs/day

Subtract from available hours

118 - 3.5 = 114.5 Remaining available hours

Note: You can establish a PF&D factor for future use --- in this case it is .02966 pf&d factor. Saves time in future calculations

(3) Determine how many hours are not related to direct production (Indirect Hours). For example; start up meeting, wearing/putting on of safety equipment (in some industries) like respirator, bunny suit, or other safety requirements.

Estimate: Meeting .25hrs/day/operator
Put on Bunny suit .25hrs/day/operator for a total of .50hrs/day/operator.

14 operators x .50hrs/day = 7.0hrs/day

Subtract from available hours

114.5 - 7.0 = 107.5 Remaining available hours

Now you know how many hours you have avail. 107.5

(4)Determine required hours I don't know what yours are so I will guess.
Available hours =537.5/week
Projected hours = 500hrs/week
Hours work completed week = 450hrs

For efficiency divide completed hours by the projected hours for a .90 or 90% efficiency

For effectiveness divide hours completed by available hours for a .837 or 84% effective.

Hope this helps a little Good Luck,

ietech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back