Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Eigenvalues of two similar structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

stressoblivion

Aerospace
Jun 7, 2010
US
Dear experts, I have two commercial aircraft interior galley structures. One of them has been in service for a while. The other is a new unit that needs to meet same requirements of vibration. So the objective is to compare these two structures to show compliance of the new unit with Part 25.

They both weigh between 400lbs and 500lbs. Looking at the first 10 modes of both structures using nastran, when I looked at the eigenvalues, the new str has a first mode value of 9.4, the old str has a value of 0.042. The way I interpret them is that the heavier unit needs a higher input frequency to excite the first mode, while the old unit needs a much lower input frequency (it is only slighly lighter). How can I use these values better? Why such a big difference?

Much Appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

0.042 hz would be an extremely low natural frequency for just about any simple system I can think of. I guess it can happen for a complex system, but I would think you would have to work very hard to tune it to do that... or else get very lucky. I would think it might be worth looking at the modeshape of that 0.024 hz mode to see if it lokos realistic.

Just a thought from someone without much experience analysing complex systems.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back