Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EIT & PE Exams

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisProcess

Chemical
Jan 24, 2008
Hi,
I guess this is a follow up to my previous thread about emmigrating to the United States.

From Browsing around it looks like I'll need to be licensed if I am to practice in the U.S.

Just looking at the EIT reference manual (Professional Publications Inc.), there seems to be an amount of information I've not covered before (some electronics, optics, fortran etc.).

I'm not sure how engineering courses are structured in the United States, but here I only shared general courses with other disciplines (physics, calculus, etc.)

Can people explain the EIT (and to a lesser extent PE) exams to me. Is it the one exam for all disciplines or does it differ? Also any personal experiences/advice are much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The EIT is now more commonly refered to these days as the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) proabably because it is kinder and gentler to not refer to it a "Engineer in Training".

The exam itself has two parts. The morning part is the same general exam for everyone. The afternoon exam can be a continuation of general engineering knowledge or can be focused on a specific discipline (your choice). Opinions differ as to which is the most easily accomplished, I took the General afternoon session on the theory that I had already studied the general topics for the morning and this was more of the same. All in all, with a lot of preperation the test was pretty easy.

The FE is a closed book exam except for the reference manual that they provide. You can purchase a copy at (it was free when I took the test a few years ago). I'd buy Lindberg's study guide and work through it, but make sure that you know the reference manual backwards and forwards.

David

As a chemical engineer you can practice in the united states without a license as long as you are working as an engineer for a private company. If you are working as a consultant then you need to be registered. If you can get a US company to hire you based on your skills that will get you started and you can get your P.E. later.

Regards
Brad Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back