Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elastic Settlement Analysis of a MSE Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning2geotech

Civil/Environmental
Apr 4, 2019
US
If I have a reinforced modular block wall, with up to 30 feet of new fill behind it and the subgrade consist of loose silty sand, how do I calculate the settlement of the wall system (including the reinforced zone)? The wall system would look like an up-side-down trapezoid but one of the short sides is squared (see attached). I've seen NAVFAC elastic settlement analysis of embankment but not sure if I can use that method here.

Untitled_ooizon.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The internal settlement of the wall itself is somewhat irrelevant. The wall will settle as filling is progressed. You could typically assume a percentage of the wall height 1-2% maybe.

Its the settlement of the material beneath the MSE wall that is the main concern. Conservatively you could just assume the wall as a foundation sitting directly on the subgrade and apply the fill height as a pressure beneath the foundation.

Any elastic method such as schmertmann etc can be used. I have not checked the NAVAC embankment approach but I would assume its fairly spot on. Navac is a good reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back