Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Elastic Settlement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

beebs

Civil/Environmental
Apr 26, 2006
US
Can anyone please give me an idea about how we can calculate elastic settlement of a large area with a surcharge. The area is being filled to a thickness of 6 feet with normal backfill material. Generally elastic settlement is not necesarry but in this case due to existing utilities it is important. (In Clays and in Sand)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

C.V. Chelapati provides some information on the elastic settlement in non-cohesive soils (e.g. sands). He provides information for a small foundation (foundation width less than 20 feet), but I don't have anything that discusses a large surcharge.

The following equation can be used if the depth of the foundation below the ground is less than the width of the foundation, and the foundation width is not greater than 20 feet:

Settlement = [4(q)(B^2)]/[Kv (B+1)^2]

Kv is the vertical modulus of subgrade reaction, q is the surcharge, and B is the width of the foundation.

Bowles or Das might also have some information on this.

See the bible ! - Poulos and Davis' "Elastic Solutions for Soil and Rock Mechanics". Has just about everything you would ever want and more. Also, many Indian geotechnical textbooks go into this in much greater detail than any "western" geotechnical text I have seen.

BigH- I have tried for 3 years to locate this book and just can't find it. Any ideas, even international locations, of where I can get my copy of "Elastic Solutions" book by Poulos and Davis.

As soon as I posted, I contacted Dr. Poulos. He has informed of a person that can help me purchase it direct from Australia. I Will keep you posted of progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back