Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elastomer bonded with ABS, good solubility in Acetone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

polymer2006

Materials
Sep 12, 2006
US
Hello,

I am looking for a type of soft rubbery material, which has a good adhesion with ABS and a good solubility in Acetone.

Definitely TPU is a very good candidate, but its solubility in Acetone is not good.

I tried SBS elastomer, but the adhesion with ABS was not good as TPU.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ABS is what I would call medium polarity, therefore you need a medium polarity elastomer to get adhesion (this is proven in books, not speculation). SBS is low polarity and I know from experience that it will not stick well to ABS.

One suggestion would be if you can use HIPS instead of ABS then the SBS will stick very well to it. Another would be to look for a more polar elastomer, perhaps something like nitrile rubber as that contains similar chemical groups compared to ABS (i.e. nitril groups). You could also try adding maleated polybutadiene (Fortirey
z or similar) to the SBS, it may act as an adhesion promoter. I am sure Pat can recommend something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back