Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electric boiler with highly variable pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesktopBuffalo

Mechanical
Feb 6, 2012
US
Hello,

The lab I do work for has asked for a boiler system that will create steam at anywhere they choose from 60psi to 1400psi, for some experiments they would like to run. Ideally, it would have an electric boiler, as it will be working in a lab environment. I have limited background in this area, and I was hoping you guys could answer a few questions for me:

1) Is it even possible to build a boiler system with that much variation in the operating pressures?

2) My research seems to indicate that electric boilers generally top out around 500psi, although this thread ( names a few companies that may be able to produce it. Still, a boiler designed to run at 1400psi will be hilariously overdesigned when running at 60psi, correct?

Thanks for your help. If the answer is "It's just not possible," then that's probably a good thing. I'll have to talk them into lowering their requirements somewhat.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are there any steam purity requirements for the process, will it have to be superheated? If there is, it may make you available selection pool even even more narrow. I've used small oil/gas fired forced flow steam generators (Vapor & Clayton) along with an accumulator for PRV testing in the past. I do not know if they make anything electric, I've not used that equipment in years. The output pressure set-point was sufficiently adjustable in order to allow us testing of PRVs from 150 to nearly 1500 psi.
Good luck with your search.

It's definitely possible, with care, to design such a thing, especially if what you're after is superheated steam. Whether they're willing to pay the cost for the thing is another matter.

You won't get one set of controls which will handle that whole range, though. That's a tremendous range in volumetric flowrate. You'll need multiple control valve trims and flowmeter ranges, assuming you need to measure how much steam you're generating.

I unfortunately don't know anything about the steam purity or volume they need, I think because they don't really know what they need. You've all been very helpful so far, I'll have to go and do some more information-gathering.

*Update: it turns out we had an error in the original specs. They're looking for 600 to 1400 psi, not 60 to 1400. So, while still high-pressure, it's a less ridiculous range. I think 60 to 140 would have been a nicer way to correct it, but that's unfortunately not the case. Ah well.

Rather than purchasing this specialized equipment for limited use, have you considered using an existing testing facility that meets your requirements?
The organization I used to work for has a steam testing facility in Philadelphia that may meet your needs. I know they've performed testing for several other government organizations in the past and some private concerns that were building equipment for the USG. If interested I can put you in contact with the right folks.

Electric boilers are possible from 60 to 1400psi.
then I would recommend a boiler from 0 to 600 and a second 600 to 1400. being that a lower pressure boiler is cheaper to run.
now that you say 600 to 1400 gets more real.
more info Nussbaum & Associates Milbrae,CA,US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back