Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electric Clutches

Status
Not open for further replies.

A514

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2007
US
I recently tried using an electric clutch for the first time due to the customer having a friction type clutch. They didn't like friction type clutches because of the constant adjustments. So I'm trying to use this particular electric clutch. I run the machine in and it hits a solid stop, then the clutch spins, however when I want to reverse the motor the clutch still slips. I tried using a timer where the clutch will see a higher voltage momentarily to act as a coupling to gain a break away force. This works, however if I'm close to the stops and I run the motor the clutch uses the higher voltage when it hits the stops and it won't reverse because the timing is too long. They say it's because of a mechanical bind, however I need to reverse directions using this same electrical clutch. I wanted to use this type of clutch because of no adjustments.
Dose anyone know of any manufactures that make a clutch that needs no adjustments and yet can over come a break away torque. I need anywhere from 10 to 40 foot lbs of torque
Thanks, John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back