Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electric Equipment Manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon47532

Electrical
Dec 1, 2008
US
I am working on a project and some help would be appreciated.

I am wanting to try to put a timeline/flow chart of some type together that shows what equipment manufacturer was bought out/absorbed by who.

For example, ITE was broken up, I know that Siemens got the molded case breakers, I believe ABB got the relays.

When Westinghouse was broken up, ABB got the Relays and Cutler-Hammer got the breakers (and probably more) and I believe Siemens got the turbine generators.

Siemens I believe got all of Allis-Chalmers

But some of the obscure ones like Sylvania, GTE and many more. Any info would be much appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A person could write a book on that topic Maybe 10 dorks like me in the world would read it), very difficult to answer that here. Do you have a more specific question?

Maybe 10 dorks like me in the world would read it

I resemble that remark. :cool:

This could be a big undertaking. I hope you are not on a deadline. And the fact that a company is still in business doesn't mean that they still actually make what they are selling. GE no longer makes metal-clad switchgear, but they sell something that says "GE" on the outside.

After working in this business in the US for the past 35+ years, I actually find it all pretty discouraging.

"Theory is when you know all and nothing works. Practice is when all works and nobody knows why. In this case we have put together theory and practice: nothing works... and nobody knows why! (Albert Einstein)

I agree that it is a big under taking. I put together a web site for electrical manuals, and thought that it would be helpful to have something like this, since the majority of the time the model names didn't change. I am also a dork and like the history aspect of it also. I have tried to research it online and I can piece together some info, but not nearly all of it.

Confirm Siemens got the turbine and generator business, and Emerson got Process Control Division based in Pittsburgh.

If you fancy extending this project to overseas companies, you might want to trace the lineage of British Thompson-Houston / Metropolitan Vickers / English Electric/ AEI / GEC, now all but faded into history. The first three were real pioneering companies from the days when the electrical industry was young, the latter two were bloated dinosaurs feeding off the state.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I am interested in expanding overseas since, I would like to collect manuals from all companies, I just have better access to the US manuals at this point. Thanks for the help

Is this the Jon that helped me out with the old ITE manuals? If so, thaks again.

Sorry, can't help you with any more information than you already have access to. I've found wikipedia to be pretty helpful for the evolution of some companies.

Can we start something on say engineering history site or this site itself.A separate thread may be started for transformers,HV breakers,MV breakers,Relays etc.If every one starts putting his input, after some time we will have a document,similar to those seen in Wiki.Sometime I felt more tahn a company,a location go on changing ownership and product rage.Sometime back I made two papers, titled, History of transformer industry in India and also History of Transformer Engineering In India.

dpc said:
GE no longer makes metal-clad switchgear, but they sell something that says "GE" on the outside.
I'm not sure GE makes anything any longer. They seem to be in the business of selling the "meatball" now.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back