Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electric fire pumps at an industrial facility - any engineering tips anyone can share ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdn2004

Electrical
Jan 27, 2007
US
We've an industrial Client that recently changed how their original fire pump installation is wired. Originally it was wired to the transformer's secondary through a 1000 Amp low voltage power circuit breaker in a switchgear. The electric pump is 100 Hp and has a Jockey Pump, and it was all wired through a controller. They did it to make the testing of the aux equipment easier.

We've been asked to provide arc flash labels etc after the fact.

The new installation took the old feeder, terminated them in a new panelboard, and ran the conductors to the controller through molded case circuit breakers. The panelboard has a main breaker. The jockey pump and the other auxiliary loads in that pump house got dual feeds through transfer switches from another source.

Looking through the NEC article 695...First, does that article apply to all facilities like this? Anyone have any experience to offer some advice? I certainly don't want to bring this up to our Client without some good advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this is a legally required fire pump it has to meet fire pump requirements in the NEC. You're not going to get any reliable advice without providing a one-line diagram. Basically, a fire pump requires a completely separate service. The devil is in the details and subject to interpretation by the AHJ. If you can post a one-line, you'll get a lot of advice - much of it conflicting probably. :cool:

Cheers,

Dave

The industrial client should have sent the proposed changes to the underwriter engineering consultant early on the design process. That is the usual process for FM and XL Clients with fire protection related modifications. Then the changes should go to plans review with the AHJ before any construction.

The applicability of NFPA 70 (NEC) article 695 depends on your local building code, the AHJ, and the site's contract with it's underwriter.

These requirements also apply
[ul]
[li]NFPA 20 "Standard for the Installation of Stationary Pumps for Fire Protection".[/li]
[li]FM Data Sheet 3-7 Fire Protection Pumps[/li]
[/ul]

The description sounds like the work might violate the type listing of the fire pump controller. FM and UL type listings could be involved.

Speaking as an AHJ, I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling.
What the others have said is true. It must meet 695.3, Article 700, etc., I'm using the 2017. Also take a gander at 695.4(B)(3)(a)(3).

I’d also take issue with DPC’s statement as phrased. Like many other things, if you decide to do it, and it’s not required by code, the simple decision to do it triggers all code compliance requirements. If you have a fire pump, even if there was no requirement to install it, it exists and therefore must meet all code requirements.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Below is the single line - at least what I've got of it from the EasyPower model of this Plant. On the left is how it was originally (OLD). On the right is how it was revised (NEW). This facility is so large it has it's own Fire Department.

Fire_Pump_Install_Old_New_itj6yn.jpg

You will multiple correct answers but all of them may not be applicable to you.
Fire fighting pumps are highly regulated subject and you need to comply with the regulatory requirements of your local authorities.

As all we've been asked to do is input this into the Plant model and provide arc flash labels for the new installation...That new panel board - has extremely high arc flash energy potential. That usually draws red flags in and of itself seeing that on the label, which is another good byproduct of power systems analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back