ELECTRIC MOTOR SELECTION FOR A PCP PUMPS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

neca

Electrical
Nov 9, 2003
US
Hi,
I would like to get some information about how to select the right electric motor for an oil pcp pump application.

My client has a 50 HP motor and they need to change this, but they think that this motor is to high for their application.

Best regard,
Neca.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi everyone;
PCP(Progressive Cavite Pump) Systems typically consist of a surface drive and a downhole PC pump comprised of a single helical-shaped rotor that turns inside a double helical elastomer-lined stator. The stator is attached to the bottom of a production tubing string and, in most cases, the rotor is attached to a drive string that is suspended and rotated by the surface drive.

Surface drives are available in direct electric motor drives as well as direct gearbox drives that may be coupled to an electric motor or a gas engine.

In the case that I`m revising, the pcp use an electric motor as the surface drive.

In this moment, I don't have the manufacturer's pump data.
I going to look for this information.
I did the question because I don't know what kind of data is necesary to do the best selection of the electric motor (torque, pressure, speed, etc).
I have to specify the power for the electric motor.

Best regard,
Neca

Neca:

The pump curves and the mechanical drive configuration are the minimum of information that you will need.

Pump data/curves will give you information about the power required and at what speed ...

The mechanical drive data will reveal how the motor is coupled to the pump ... i.e., direct drive or gear ratio (increasing or decreasing)

And from there, you should be able to determine the requirements for the motor.

Kind regards,
jOmega

Suggestion: The Motor-Load integration is normally performed by Mechanical Engineers since the mechanical portion can become so involved that the electrical engineer or designer cannot handle it. One specific area is the dynamic behavior of the motor load. Another area is motor-load coupling (rubber coupling at PCP). The mechanical engineers generally tend to be trained better in various non-electrical materials, surface finishes, tolerances, etc. JOmega postings touch the mechanical engineering base somewhat.
Therefore, the posting would also be appropriate in the Mechanical Engineering Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back