Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electric Motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beta101

Electrical
Jan 21, 2006
I have not been involved much in my career in Motors and recently a project was assigned to that involves design a motor control system for a conveyor. Does anyone have any PDF or can direct me to a site that teaches Motors/Contactors/Starters. I don’t have any idea about them especially Contactors and Starters. A simple document that explain each at least.

Your help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A few places to start for motor starters/contactors.

Motor contactors are relays that are specifically sized to handle the currents that induction motors draw. Motor starters are contactors which contain protection features for the motor.

Most motors are started Direct off the line (DOL). There are also reduced voltage starters which reduce the starting current. There are also electronic "Soft Starters. If variable speed control is required, electronic Variable Frequency Drives (VFD's) are used. This is common today and is afforable.

Post more specifics and you'll get lots of advice.

Hi Beta101,

Before this thread goes any further, can I suggest that the discussion is transferred to the Motors forum - forum237? Re-post you question there and ask the administrators to remove this thread via the Red Flag link. They'll be happy to help out.

See you in forum237!

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back