electric submersible pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassann

Civil/Environmental
May 7, 2018
GB
hello all,
ESP pumps are useful to enhance oil production in the oil wells. Is anyone familiar with ESP pumps with respect to the electric motor hazardous zone?
Does the motor have to be explosion proof or not?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No oxygen down hole so don't think so. [pre][/pre]

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

OP,
To directly answer your question, I do not think EPS motors are required to be explosion proof or are designed with an explosion proof motor but I do not know for sure. What I do know for sure, is that in every application I have been involved with them in, this was never a consideration. To LittleInch's point, there is no oxygen downhole to support combustion. Also, since the pump by design, is required to be submerged, it should never be in a vapor space. I have never been in a situation where I have seen down hole as being considered a hazardous zone.
As far as sources of ignition, the motor is completely sealed in an oil bath and the surface temperature should never get anywhere near that which would be considered a hazard for either crude or natural gas. So, by design it is inherently nonhazardous.
I will qualify all of these statements by saying, if for whatever reason your company, client or customer has designated down hole as a hazard zone, then the motor would be required to be designated as being suitable for the hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back