Electric vehicle charging stations under building 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby43

Structural
Mar 9, 2017
AU
Hi all,
I am just starting on a new 3 Storey project.
Office and parking at ground with 2 levels of Residential over.
I am designing the floor and its supports over the parking for an Fire resistance level of 120/120/120 (Structural adequacy/Integrity/insulation)
I just received a drawing of the carpark with a note for "Electric Vehicle Charging Stations to be provided".
Now I'm no expert in electric vehicle/battery fires but I'm inclined to advise that these stations should not be under the building due to increased risk of fire and the potential longevity of such fires. 120 minute FRL should give enough time for evacuation but if the fire was to continue unabated, as Firefighters seem to not be able to deal with these lithium battery fires, then I feel the damage to the structure could be alot worse than a "regular fire".
Am I been too conservative?
What are others thoughts on this relatively new development.

Thanks in advance
Toby

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are being overly conservative and you are going well beyond the role of a structural engineer. For starters if electric vehicle charging stations are a problem underground then surely electric cars parked and not charging are a similar issue. And that ship has mostly sailed.

Furthermore the energy density of lithium batteries is far less than gasoline and FAR FAR less than a large pickup vehicle with a full tank. Yes there are peak temperature and extinguishing problems than I haven't addressed. And maybe this is a problem if you have an entire underground car park full of electric vehicles. But that is a different question and nothing to do with the location of a charging station.

EDIT:
Getting back to the problem of an entire car park filled with EVs. Well some people do think you have a point.

Toby 43,

You are correct to be concerned. It is a relatively new technology, and all the LI battery fires we see reported don't give much confidence.

Toby43 said:
...I'm no expert in electric vehicle/battery fires...
I'm inclined to advise that these stations should not be under the building due to increased risk of fire and the potential longevity of such fires.
Am I been too conservative?
What are others thoughts on this relatively new development.

Suggest the Owner discuss this issue with their insurance carrier for the building... and don't offer any other advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back