Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electric Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartracer087

Electrical
Apr 18, 2020
US
Thought this would be a good place to ask. How is the T&D industry preparing for the onset of Electric Vehicles, which as an electrical engineer, I am aware have the capability of disturbing daily load profiles to a certain extent? Sorry to be vague but I thought this would generate some discussion on what measures (if any) are being considered in the industry. Many companies have designed around partial offloading at night but this could change things quite drastically. Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We are installing charging stations, and so is Walmart.

The problem with taking energy back from electric cars, is at what rate would we pay the owner? And would that be a last resort, if we can recover the cost of peaking plants. This is more of a dream, and I don't see it, as the timing is all wrong, as the greatest need for electric is at the same time so many drivers will be clogging the freeways.

As far as powering your house from your car, it may work for lights, but not really for your electric stove.

In the short term, there seems to be a push for charging cars overnight at homes. As more solar PV becomes available, we might need to switch to having all the EVs charge in the middle of the day. It seems challenging to predict whether the increased load from EVs will outrun the decreased load due to energy conservation measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back